PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aileron or rudder during stall?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2015, 01:07
Lets Aviat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aileron or rudder during stall?

So I came up with this question while posting in another post and I wondered what everyone else's answers were to this. Only thing I ask is don't jump straight into the answer, give it a moments thought and weigh up the two sides.

So you hit a stall and a wing starts to drop, do you use option 1 or option 2 to correct the wing drop?

Option1 - Aileron
From what I remeber from my training back in 2010 you use rudder to correct and never aileron because you will cause the wing to hit a full stall and have a huge wing drop.

Option 2 - Rudder
You use the rudder's secondary effect to roll the aircraft back to level so you don't cause a bigger angle of attack on the recovering wing causing it to go into a deeper stall.

My issue with this is how do you get into a spin? Fully back on the control colum and full rudder at the stall no? So surly if you use rudder to correct a wing drop are you not jumping out of the pan and into the fire and putting yourself at risk of developing a rather dangerous situation of a fully developed spin?

So my thoughts are use a small amount of aileron as to not cause the wing to stall and if a wing drops then it's a damn easier to recover from than a spin?

You answers on a postcard please