PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 18th Jul 2015, 20:09
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R4H,

I'm sure that snow was at least as much of burden as sand in Albert ops. I can concur with your proposition of "ATFOC" interpretation of reality. I certainly was threatened twice with career ending consequences, when Albert decided to break some structural member etc. In both instances, my remedy was finally accepted and recovery actions were based on that. Thankfully with the support of the crew I was supporting. I think I have already posted the fluctuating pressurisation problem, diversion to Porto, and subsequent threats from a certain armpit Flt Sgt in Eng Ops at Lyneham. it seems that OC Eng at the time was "short toured" as a result of "tactics" used to encourage a crew to fly an aircraft of dubious structural integrity (and abusing the authority of the station Commander). I also remember a rudder problem at St Johns, where I found some failure in the structure that supported input to the bellcrank. A certain T** Le C***t examined the problem with me, and added his own input to my Eng Rep, we were "gob smacked" to receive a reply, from the same Flt Sgt at Lyneham, informing us that "Albert does not go U/S down route with structural problems", totally disregarding the fact that this was a flying control restriction as well as a structural problem. After leaving the Honourable Company of GE ship, I worked in Eng Ops, and I have to report that the whole shebang lived down to my expectations. If only those "sat" back in the UK could actually have listened to those, on the ground, who offered decent solutions to snags, we could have saved some money.

In that light, A4H, do you remember the delay in our return from Hong Kong all those years ago ? Bahrain on the way back, a night stop scheduled, and duly enjoyed. On start the next day, the No2 donk failed to start, and was diagnosed by myself and J**n H****s as ignition relay failure. I had a spare in my "bag" unfortunately not the same part number as the one fitted. We phoned Lyneham Ops and were told, stay there, do not use the spare you have, we will send you the correct item on tomorrow's BA flight. BA duly met, spare received and bugger me, the jobby they sent was exactly the one I had in my bag no worries, we contacted Ops and our favourite Flt Sgt said, ahh the suppliers have failed, stay where you are we will send you the correct item. We did, they didn't, and eventually we did the one start, and leg to Akronelli, with my spare fitted, and M**k L***y put the correct component on No2 donk. I seem to recall a two day delay on our return, I'm not sure if Captains got demerits for late return, but I do know that our late arrival was down to Eng Ops Lyneham.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 18th Jul 2015 at 22:49.