PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Days Off String with Jepp Bid System
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2015, 15:33
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glofish

I agree that leave should not be more accessible to one group over another. 42 days contractual leave is exactly that, contractual! It matters not whether we are trainers or line pilots. The string of days off however is a 'perk' and not a contractual issue, the same way the monthly requested flight is. It is another incentive to assist those prepared to make other sacrifices such as reduced ULR options and 14 days off each month whilst they report for a 3am sim session. They get 5 hours credit for each of their expected 12 monthly duties but the work starts well before you turn up to the briefing room and finishes well after you're down the pub celebrating another pass. So, your comment that you're 'not looking forward to your next encounter with any of you' is not only disappointing coming from a fellow professional but also highly generalised and immature. Different rostering policies should have no affect whatsoever on the instructors attitude towards your performance should it? Mutual respect, remember! Let's not fight amongst ourselves. It's the system that's at fault and those that control these micromanagement policies. If there weren't so many restrictions we'd all be able to enjoy strings of days off, although not all at the end of the month. Remember though contrary to what SOPS is insinuating, EK is not a commuter airline and never has been. Those that work here or plan to do so are well advised to remember that fact!

And if you think we have it bad, the engineer who signed off my tech log several days ago was spitting feathers. Forced 'overtime' but not PAID overtime, merely days off in lieu. Adding insult to injury, he couldn't even take his entitled 42 days leave either with 30 being the norm for him and the majority of qualified engineers. One senior had sent a well written request to HR for clarification, along with extracts from the UAE employment regulations. The response?

"We are a semi government Company so the rules don't apply to us."

So, there you go, they have and will continue to do what they like to keep the show on the road. It will get worse and more people will get fired. The problem is, however, those that really should get dismissed are too high up and too well connected. I can't ever see the culture in this place improving anytime soon and having de motivated and fatigued engineers working on our planes does not inspire confidence.

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 18th Jul 2015 at 15:48. Reason: Any engineer reporting sick for their 'forced' overtime can not self certify and require a doctors approval! I kid you not.