PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 18th Jul 2015, 05:01
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about giving us numbers right up close to the mandate date? Then they will be meaningful.
Bloggsie,
I may claim to be many things, but a clairvoyant is not one of them.

Undoubtedly, FAA would also like to know, as well. What is reasonably clear is that the fitment rate for the relevant number of aircraft between now and 2020 is probably not attainable, even the capacity of avionics manufacturers to get equipment out is being questioned in Congressional investigations.

The new Garmin GPS 20A meets FAA rules for ADS-B but it is not TSO'd. Therefore I wouldn't think it meets Australia's extra special requirements
Sunfish,
I think that is probably right, just as several other superficially attractive cheap 1090ES transponder/GPS combinations do not comply with CASA specifications, often, but not always, because the GPS source does not comply with Australian specifications.

---- instead of offering constructive suggestions on how to move forward i.e.
Midnight,

Clearly, either you haven't read, or if you have, you have not understood many of my "contributions" to this issue. Last time I added them up, there were about nineteen substantive papers to various inter-related subjects on airspace management, with my name on the bottom, contributing on behalf of several bodies over the time, and more recently as an individual.

If, collectively, we had any brains, we should do a complete re-analysis of the Australian ADS-B mandate, a proper risk analysis and a cost/benefit justification for any subsequent mandate.

If that had been done in the first place (as Government policy of the day mandated - that mandate, "imposed" by a Labor Government, was ignored) we would not be where we are right now.

The vast cost shifting, inherent in this program, to an already financially marginal GA (a macro financial situation imposed on GA, largely not of GA's making) should be revisited, and if the RRAT Standing Committee of the Senate have their way, it may well be.

For those of you who would rejoice in many fewer GA aircraft in the air (Bloggsie and his mates) it is this short term thinking that has got Australian aviation, as a whole, to where it is today, compared to even little NZ.

When Donald Horn titled his seminal work "The Lucky Country", he was being quite ironic, describing a country with huge potential, with a population (including political classes from the left to right) of none too bright people, who were probably never going achieve that potential.

If you look at the Australian aviation sector, he was so correct, it is uncanny --- and very sad. The aviation sector has lucked out.

Tootle pip!!