PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 17th Jul 2015, 19:17
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crikey Coff, respect ! You understand all of that ? I always had the impression that 19700 lbs torque would drag Albert off most surfaces it had landed on (18k being the norm). I suspect though that R4H knows a lot more than I ever will, because he flew it. Approach and departure from unmanned strips was the ultimate reason for the foreshortening of my career, due to an event during GW1, but I like to believe that all "adventures" lead to "lessons learned" and improved safety. I reckon that a lot of the beach landing input has shown that Albert was well capable of getting in and out of such "strips", and, offering a useful platform in that respect for SF for infil/exfil and re supply missions. It certainly confirms the extended expectation the RAF had for the aircraft, compared to other nations, I think ? R4H and Doug, great photographs both, did either of you ever get involved with Tac on snow (Norway for instance) ? I bet the parameters were a whole lot different, or were they ?

The GE perspective !

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 17th Jul 2015 at 20:17.