PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2015, 15:38
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange, on the KC-46A thread you claimed you were a P-3 driver for many years....
"One more BTW. I also operated the P-3C for several years. When I was on a 12 hour or longer mission over blue water and was loitering one or more engines during the mission and operating at both high and very low altitudes and operating at max range cruise AND max undurance cruise during different parts of the same mission, and expending stores during the mission, I made damned sure I was certain about my fuel computations. So your assumption about my awareness of fuel density on aircraft performance is a fail."
Or did you forget that part?
Oh my. Now you fanboys are demanding details of my flying history? I don't see the significance, but OK, here's goes.

After graduating from USNA I receive my commission and entered flight school in Florida and Texas. Upon graduation from flight school and completing RAG training I flew A-4 Skyhawks out of NAS Lemoore. While thus serving my jet experienced a catastrophic turbine failure at high speed (just under 400 KIAS) at low altitude (about 100 ft AGL) and I ejected. I was on the ragged edge (which side of the edge is still under debate) of the ESCAPAC ejection seat's envelop and while I survived, things did not go entirely well.

USN allowed me to stay in and keep flying, but I was required to transition to anything not ejection seat equipped, which in USN essentially meant a helo or a P-3. Flying a helo in USN meant operating off the back of frigates, not my idea of fun, so selected P-3. I went to Corpus Christi where I received multi-engine training and then completed RAG training (excuse me, by then called FRS training.)

I flew one active duty deployment in P-3s. Then I transitioned to the reserves, continuing to fly P-3s. But when the Soviet Navy went away in the 80s, the P-3 mission went away with it. I was RIFed and joined the civilian line. But with the airlines hiring like crazy (plus an out of control RIF process), USN was losing Tacair pilots by the boatload and after a year or so they offered to hire me back based on my previous Tacair experience. I reminded them of their "no ejection seats" restriction, and BUPERS and NAMI said NAVAIR had this cool new airplane called the Hornet that had a new high tech Martin Baker ejection seat and I would be OK to fly that. I agreed.

I completed FRS training and then completed all my day/night carrier quals, day/night refueling quals, weapons quals, etc, etc as a reservist just in time to get activated for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. I continued to fly Hornets (mostly as a reservist) till I departed USN for good after Gulf War 2. Although technically, since I serve "at the pleasure of the President" for life, I could still get called up, but I doubt Obama will have me. And since my earlier ejection adventure is now catching up with me (flailing injuries have loonnggg term effects, many delayed) I'm sure NAMI will no longer allow me in a cockpit, certainly not as command pilot.