PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2015, 14:39
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Our dear Friend KenV has fallen down the same old trap. A few years ago when the Hubble Space Telescope was new, the resolution of the cameras mounted in it was cutting-edge, things move on, as has consumer and professional photography, to say nothing of computing power. The F35 was specified, on the cutting-edge of technology some years ago, things have moved forward, most of the processing devices on board are probably obsolete. I seem to recall that the USAF bought up the last batch of processors that could be fitted to the F22 some years ago. Even with two year phone contracts, it is amazing the increase in power, resolution, capacity etc that your smart phone has. Thinking of the phone you had when LM won the JSF competition and the one you have today, then recall that the F35 specs have not changed much since then and the system has yet to be shown to work as advertised.
As I posted before if the sensor suite is to be brought up to the standard of other under development or now available sensors, I would imagine that the cost would be astronomic and the delay at least two years.