PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2015, 13:28
kbrockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenV
And DAS is monochrome, so a 4MP sensor provides 4MP of resolution. But unlike a consumer camera, it sees way down into the infrared.
I don't know where the 4MP number comes from, as far as I know it's still a 1MP sensor per position up until today (1.3 to be exact).
There is a reason that some extra support is needed like the initially unforeseen addition of a separate NVG set.

The DAS upgrade cannot be an easy one, an increase of 1->4 (or to be exact 1.3 to 4.2) will mean adding considerable processing-speed/bandwith increase to keep latecy and jitters under acceptable levels, even 150ms in a fast jet is barely acceptable.

Like i previously said, the EOTS part of the EODAS package is even more complicated and even today, before IOC, already obsolete compared with the latest LITENING series pods and THALES pod that will come on line within just a few years.
The integrated EOTS is even more complicated to upgrade than the DAS.

What I personally also wonder about is what this whole flying through a virtualized image will do for eye fatigue during prolonged use and then there is off course the issue with depth perception.