PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “SIDS compulsory because of CASA Regulatory Structure?”
Old 17th Jul 2015, 10:50
Looigi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading this thread with quite a bit of interest.

Here in New Zealand, the SID's program is also mandatory. What I am hearing around the campfire is that these inspections are turning up some serious issues with some otherwise well maintained aircraft. I have seen a few pictures of defects that would have caused serious accidents if they were left much longer. I can think of at least two very nice looking Cessna's in which wheet-bix looking wing ribs were replaced due to a SID's inspection.

As to the argument between some of the pilots and engineers on here, if a pilot makes a mistake, they generally pay the consequences immediately. By comparison, an engineer's oops may lay dormant for years before causing an accident. I have to sign an aircraft is airworthy and I have no idea what you are going to do with it once it leaves my hangar. Imagine going to jail because of a mistake you made on a job you did 20 years ago! It has happened.

LAME's take their jobs seriously and I have never met one who intentionally does a bad job. Having said that, there are good ones and some not so good.... just like pilots I guess.

You might have figured out that I am a LAME..... And a (private) pilot..... And an aircraft owner. This SID's program is not one that we have asked for, so can we please accept that it is here, we all have to make the best of it we can, and get on with it? Peacefully??