PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-8 FLUTTER ISSUE
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2015, 06:43
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Euclideanplane
Before the Valujet crash, the FAA spoke with McDonnell-Douglas about the issues with fire detection and suppression in the cargo hold of DC10. Was it more or less than 5 years they got to fix it? Maybe 5 years really does mean that it is a big deal...
First, DC-9, not -10.

I think that decision was made based on the assumption that no one was shipping pax oxy generators in unauthorized, unlabelled containers illegally. Given the rapid propagation of that particular fire event, it's doubtful even the "fix" would have prevented it.

Oxy generators are, under the wrong conditions, "somewhat" more active than lithium batteries which have reached thermal runaway.

Wing flutter was recognized during test flights, and an initial fix - through software - was put into place. This appears to be a follow-up to make sure that all operators are compliant.

Curious. I seem to recall the the original prototype 747s had a flutter problem too but it was fixed before production.
Yes, I recall that as well... Well, not really recall it, but feel sure that I've read it some where.

Cheers!
Ray