PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chain of command
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2015, 06:06
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Chain of command

BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said: "Answering a Freedom of Information request, submitted by the human rights group Reprieve, the Ministry of Defence confirms that some UK military personnel have already been involved in military action against IS over Syrian airspace.
"The MoD says those British military personnel embedded with US, Canadian and French forces and under their chain of command have been authorised to take part in those nations' operations. The US and Canada have been involved in airstrikes over Syria."
I recall Parliament voted against UK military involvement in Syria, which begs the question ' who has command?' Parliament representing the Monarch or the MOD? If captured what would be their status and who would take responsibility, the host country or the UK? I recall that during the Falklands war and when I was on exchange during GW1 this was handled differently. This is, I assume since it over Syrian Airspace and without their invitation, an aviation matter, although not exclusively so since in the future we may have SF on the ground. Were it a NATO operation it would be different.