PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “Sir Angus Won’t Allow the Fireies to Provide a Unicom Service”.
Old 17th Jul 2015, 04:21
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dick, what were the criteria for the establishment of a ARFF service when you were Chairman of CASA?
SunnySA,
Probably that the airport be an international airport, to meet ICAO requirement.
I think the present ratbag criteria was put in place after Dick resigned, anybody have the actual timeline? The fact remains, these fire services are very costly economic waste. The circumstances under which they were established were, to say the least, very questionable under any rational process.
See my previous posts on the subject.
---your assertions/specific concerns/allegations?
None of the above, a statement of fact. I sat in conference room in Canberra that day, watched it all, the DoT Assistant Sec. sitting beside even agreed with me, but nobody else there was going to stand in the way of all hallowed "air safety".
It could almost be called "emotional blackmail" (not my term) but it all comes under "the mystique of air safety" --- for a full description of that term, see the first volume of the Lane Report in about 1986.

Tootle pip!!