PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “SIDS compulsory because of CASA Regulatory Structure?”
Old 16th Jul 2015, 23:45
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laws, unfortunately are always made for the lowest common denominator.
From what I've seen of a few GA aircraft that I've been involved with during SIDS inspections, there are some pretty bad aircraft out there.A similar age motor vehicle would have been totally rebuilt or scrapped long ago.

How CASA can ensure these aircraft are rebuilt or scrapped without impacting on the good ones is a difficult subject. If you talk to truckies in NSW at least, they will tell horror stories of RMA and Police inspections on their perfectly "serviceable" vehicles. Unfortunately major defects and loading problems still regularly turn up even in that almost strict regime.

How to handle SIDS in Australia in a "fair" way seems to me to be an impossible task . Denigrating the LAMEs who have to make the decisions on what needs to be done within an almost impossible regulatory system achieves nothing but show that the poster doesn't remotely understand either the legal or practical area that LAMEs work under daily for a wage well under that of the equivalent motor tradesman.

Ultimately there will be no LAMEs. Who would come into an industry that chronically underpays for work done (including the paperwork) and exposes the LAME to massive potential legal liabilities. My recommendation when asked is to avoid the job and go somewhere else that pays well and isn't so full of legal traps.

Wunwing