PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PTSD among drone operators
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2015, 21:01
alfred_the_great

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ExGrunt
First thanks to MtM for starting a very interesting debate.

As an ex infantryman, I have to say I tend towards the Beag's view of the world that by comparison a war sat in your chair with the main risk being a blistered finger from your controller or a burnt lip from hot coffee is infinitely preferable to having to deal with blood and snot at, often very, close range. Especially as there is no sound - believe me you will never forget someone screaming for their mummy.

EG
But that may be part of the problem - an experience you describe is processable as "war" and helps you understand and deal with the thing you have done.

Walking into an room, killing someone (who you may have watched 8 hours a day for a week or so), watching the aftermath, and then walking out of your room and getting in the car home to play with your kids, can create huge cognitive problems, because it's not easily described as "war" - just look at the comments in this thread.

In many ways, it would be better if they "deployed" to their "room" (albeit a much bigger environment) for 6 months, with the same people, allowing for a more 'natural' transition from "killing" to "normality".