PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored Training
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2015, 15:20
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deptrai, you need a day off. Thrashing about from forum to forum, thread to thread, expressing opinion on every conceivable subject and often, I concede, quite entertaining and articulate . Look, here's the thing ; Thread opener was asking about sponsored pilot training and.............here's the clue............... ; talked about Uk pounds. Your reply was in US Dollars (I think). US NEVER had sponsored pilot training. UK did in the glorious 60's - 80's but long since scrapped all deals because dumbed down rich kids in the Uk asked Mum & Dad to pay for training & the UK schools fooled these twots into thinking that they were highly selected cadets. Indeed, a recent TV programme followed the progress of the latest, "renewed" Cadet scheme that showed rich kids who were now, deeply indebted to banks, checking out as Airbus drivers being grateful to BA for their "Cadet Training". Oh dear.

Thanks to clarification, in response to a question I asked about Lufthansa's Cadet scheme, seems the psychotic Killer of recent fame, was, indeed, a fully sponsored Cadet. In other words, very highly selected(sic) and all fees paid by Lufthansa.

Yeah, in the Uk, we have moved towards fees, student loans etc. I guess a UK Trainee Doctor is going to have to self fund some money. Lawyers too. Indeed, anyone going the Trainee Professional path.

To answer the Opener's question. NO ! There is no sponsored training. Ask Mum & Dad and be careful. Cobbled together schemes like the BA Cadet Scheme, worse, the former Britannia Airways Cadet scheme, all in cahoots with money-hungry schools will leave you in severe debt. But as you hold up the School's "Cadet Of The Year" Trophy", focus on the years of P2 fly that await you.

A solution, in the UK, is what I offered to Flight International Magazine in 1964. I envisaged a European funded Cadet College. Cadet Training would be free. Sponsoring airlines would fund and have direct access to graduates in relation to the former's level of funding. I would, of course be Principal & live in detatched, Principal's housing (at least six bedrooms), on campus. I was 18 years old. 40 years later..............oh dear..........Where are they now .........!