PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 15th Jul 2015, 21:09
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
MOA wrote:
I know every single pilot who ever flew the MRA4, including all the TPs, myself included, and it was not a pig. Initial configuration, yes, production standard, no.
The TP who briefed us was actually referring to the original aeroplane. If its poor handling qualities were eventually rectified, then fine, OK, I concede that betty swallox and you must be correct if it was indeed eventually made to fly satisfactorily.

The other issue about which we were briefed was, as Finnpog wrote:
Is it not correct to say, however, that the MRA4 would never have been certified as 'safe' or risks ALARP without a monumentally significant amount of extra cash - if at all?
Again, the TP opined that certain design issues made the likelihood of MAA sign-off in the emergent risk-averse era rather unlikely.

Anyway, it's all razor blades now, so one must just hope that either the Boeing P-8 (Indian Navy has just ordered another 4) or the Kawasaki P-1 will become the UK's future maritime aeroplane.