PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 15th Jul 2015, 20:54
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, the circle comes round: many discussions ago we discussed this very point. The fact of the matter is we are in a vocational industry. It is similar to many, including the health service. The owners/managers/shareholders see us as easy pickings. To them we are doing a paid hobby. They exploit that and we allow them to abuse us. Capitalism at its worse, in one aspect. After many years of abuse unions/associations formed. They were, still are, very amateurish. The reason I mentioned the union bosses of old is they had passion for their industry and members. They were overtaken by market forces and became rather dinosaural; head in the sand and Canute in their attitude. But they tried. I've watched as the aviation unions have allowed the industry to be decimated and T's & C's to be diluted on the backs of huge profits. This has not been market forces where the commodity has been bought in from cheaper foreign regions, it has been the absolute dilution of local, at home, working conditions for longterm employees whose loyalty to their companies has been committed. This has been caused by the short term aspirations/greed of managers & share holders. If the share price roars up and you sell, who cares if the company folds? The money's in the bank and the employees are on the street/runway. Vocational employees need leadership. I've met so many who said they were anti-union. Naive, as they did not understand the concept. They thought, 'if I do right by the company they will do right be me'. Wrong. That is what I say has been missing; a leader from our side with passion for the industry; to oppose the short term profit takers. NOTE: I say industry, not company. Most of the EU unions have been bred from their national carriers. They have been totally chauvinistic in their actions. They have protected the T's & C's, or tried to, of the golden goose. They HAVE NOT protected their national industry. The employees have a longterm vested interest in the success of their company. can the same be said for those who control them? Now, everyone is wondering what the hell happened. The whole industry is crumbling but the few are making megabucks. Standards have crashed (excuse the pun) and we are all asking how did this happened. Lack of passion and leadership!!!!!!! Plus lack of oversight by you know who!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RAT 5; 16th Jul 2015 at 20:56.