PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA762 report released (cowl doors openning)
Old 15th Jul 2015, 19:55
neila83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NigelOnDraft
Maybe try reading the report.

This occurred some 30+ times prior this accident. Since that accident, and despite more sticking plaster solutions by Airbus, Operators and Regulators, it has occurred another 3x.

Flight Safety does not get far by just finger pointing individuals as your post suggests. The AAIB have produced a wide ranging report, and even where the engineers directly contradicted AMM requirements, they noted this practice was carried out by other engineers and operators, and for good reason.

Maybe such a comprehensive report might actually get Airbus to do something now? As noted, until this one all other occurrences have had little Safety implication.

As I read the report, I felt that if a Sim instructor had given me that series of warnings and indications, I might well have got up halfway through and walked out saying it was ridiculously busy and unrealistic

PS When I sign the Tech Log, I am not stating the aircraft is fit to fly AFAIK? I am accepting the aircraft as "offered for service".
No finger pointing at any individuals, the numbers of holes that lined up here throughout the organisation suggest endemic problems across the board. Yes there is a design issue, but that is all the more reason everyone else has to do their job. And stop shirking responsibility.

BA maintenance is shown to be a complete shambles, god knows what else they are missing. I'd like my engineer to be as fit and fresh as my pilot, and a lot more equal in pay than currently. I'd like my pilot to follow procedure for shutting down engines, and to be able to fly a fully manual approach without someone else having to control thrust, because they've never done it before. Pilots of other reputable airlines are rightly incredulous at what went on here.

We're always told Asian airlines/AF won't admit they have a problem so won't fix it. It's beginning to look like BA are no different. So Airbus fix the cowling issue, great. Is this the only threat BA engineers and pilots have to deal with, and do you think maybe the report suggests the organisation has its own issues to address as well?