PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2015, 19:13
wevanniekerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Beech58

I've never worked in Maun, but will be making my way there early next week. With your experience you should be able to find something, just regularly check sites like Avcom and Facebook pages like bush pilots for updates.

Regarding the sending of CV's, I emailed my CV through to some of the companies, stating that my intentions was to make my way up to Maun with the GA8 and C208B on my license. I have a total of 750hours and was one of those people who didn't do any homework after my cpl and pitched up with a total of 215hours beginning of 2013.

Never the less I was unlucky and didn't get employed, but now after two and a half years(and doing various contract jobs) with some instruction in between and very difficult to find additional 535 hours I'm finally heading back. Twin time doesn't really count I would think only towards your total time.

Getting on the caravan would depend on other pilots leaving, as you would have to start at the bottom of the ladder. If I had to guess around 2 years. Anyways I can think of worse things to do than flying airvans into the delta while waiting to get onto a Caravan.

It's always been my dream to fly in the bush, being a game ranger previously and the Caravan is very high on my priority list, so I would definitely stick it out for three years. I'm also very lucky that I was able to get a position over a skype interview and will be flying for Safari Air. Just need to renew that instructor's rating on Friday and then making my way.

To everyone seeking information, the only advice I can give is READ. There is alot of info on Maun and the requirements.

This is my first PPRUNE post and hopefully not my last. To those who want to pursue a career in bushflying never give up. Where there is a will there is a way!!

Cheers
Wynand