PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain? 40% of young people don't know what it is
Old 15th Jul 2015, 18:15
Danny42C

Brian 48nav,

Well said ! But in mitigation, I would say that she was just one more victim of the catastrophic failure of our educational policies over the previous forty years.

Google has thrown up this extract from the "Grauniad" (unfortunately undated):

"This relentless regime, testing children more than anywhere else in the western world, is associated with a high fall-out rate. At 16, 24% of English schoolchildren leave education. This is the highest proportion of any country in the European Union. Almost one in 10 children do not go on to any further training either. The government is rightly proud of the fact that the proportion of young people who are not in education, employment or training has fallen to 9.4%. But the glitter fades when compared with an overall EU average of 6.4%".

(Note the: "is associated with !" - the old 'Post Hoc' fallacy again: (Event B occurred after [or "at the same time as" - the case here] Event A). Therefore B is caused by A.

My old local greengrocer (just retd.), having somehow found out that I'd flown Spitfires in the war, used proudly to announce the fact to all and sundry every time I went into his shop. Gratifying, but rather embarrassing !

Having said that, I've always been unhappy with the tin-rattling for the RAF Benevolent Fund, and sorry for the ATC cadets who had to do it at BoB Home days and the like. I felt it was demeaning (was I right ?)

Danny42C.

Last edited by Danny42C; 15th Jul 2015 at 18:18. Reason: Spacing