PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain? 40% of young people don't know what it is
Old 15th Jul 2015, 11:22
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For a few years I used to assist the chap who was responsible for the BoB door to door collection in our village.

You discover a lot about people when you have the temerity to knock on their door and shake a collection tin at them - from in the case of the allegedly richest couple in the village ( he had done well in the 'City' and she ,so rumour had it, had inherited over £10 million when her HK based father had died ), 'What's the Battle of Britain?' - as they were then about 50 years old in 2000 I wanted to scream at their ignorance,- to the poorest old age pensioner widows who insisted they gave everything they had left in their purses and it was often more than the working well-off donated!

One year the chap I helped was collecting on the day of Princess Diana's funeral and a lady acquaintance of mine ( who had been born during WW2 ) said to me, 'That idiot Peter knocked on my door while I was watching the funeral, so I sent him packing with a flea in his ear".

I replied, 'That idiot Peter had flown both Spitfires and Hurricanes in the war and you madam are not fit to lick his boots!'