PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2015, 10:26
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
MSOCS -

I disagree. The condescending tone should tip you off that the author's current knowledge of fighter/sensor/weapon technology is weak to non-existent. Some of the points he makes are strawman arguments (in the real sense, not the way he uses the term) - that is, he's arguing against points that almost nobody makes. (For instance, far from everyone compares the F-35 to the F-105.)

He also seems to be equating BFM with guns and assuming that HOBS weapons mean that BFM is obsolete in a missile engagement. I don't think that view gets much support here.

His arrogant, unqualified "You don't have a right or a need to know" (which is where he hangs his hat, because he otherwise makes no case for the F-35's value) is a disgrace. You swore to defend the Constitution, sunshine, not subvert it by asserting that if the Government wants to keep anything secret for any reason, STFU and sit down, Citizen!

Of course there is intelligent discussion on military technology and operations at the unclass level. It happens here. I am continuously involved in it, and it is taken seriously (in my personal experience) by people who do have clearances. (The author should get out more and attend a few shows and conferences.)

[Note - as you can tell, I find his attitude offensive. The best I can say for him is that it may be driven by complete lack of knowledge of how the world of open-source works. But in that case he should give his keyboard a rest.]

And if I had $5 for every time someone said "Ah, but if you had the real Secret Squirrel brief you would understand why this widget is worth every $100 billion you paid for it" I would be richer by many $5s, at least. Aside from Soviet or really black programs, I can't recall any cases where such secret and decisive capabilities have been revealed by history; I alluded earlier to such claims made for the F-22, which are largely belied by the AF's currently lackadaisical approach to upgrading the jet.

Overall, I'd say that the author is letting his worldview be defined by animosity towards the sources of criticism.

Last edited by LowObservable; 15th Jul 2015 at 10:52.