PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-16 and Cessna Midair in South Carolina, USA
Old 15th Jul 2015, 03:59
KKoran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
From what I read here it looks like both aircraft were where they were supposed to be and in contact with their respective ATS units . ( the F16 with APP and the C150 with the Departure TWR)
To get a collision one of the 2 apparently was where it was not supposed to be, or does the airspace around those 2 airports is in pure class G ?

Can someone in the know clarify, or put a map of the area up ?

As to ADS-B, it is not the solution to everything. I have it on my ( small GA) aircraft, to use it as an anti collision tool you need to put the detection range between 4 and 8 NM , it does not work well with F16s coming at you at 250 Kts when you are doing yourself 70 Kts on the climb. Plus it only warns you of the aircraft having a transponder, and set on ALT.
So in VFR country , using eye balls is still the most effective effective way to avoid each other.
There is no tower at the airport the C-150 departed from. It is likely they were still on the airport's Common Traffic airport Advisory Frequency.