PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “SIDS compulsory because of CASA Regulatory Structure?”
Old 14th Jul 2015, 22:40
Propstop

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
LFA,
The choice to own an aircraft is yours only (and possibly the bank) so becomes your problem.
They are no more expensive, if you can afford it, than beautiful women or German sports cars. I guess a lot cheaper; I am sure there are posters here who can vouch for that fact after their divorce.
The LAME bashing here is pointless as the average charge of the LAME is a LOT LESS than the German car mechanic. There are the good, bad, and average in all areas.
I am still, after 50 years, passionate about this industry, as are most pilots and engineers of my vintage. Our biggest concern is the dumbing down in all areas and the people coming through now who view it as just a job.
18 months now from whoa to go to become a LAME and for a pilot 200h to be in the RH seat of a airliner. In both cases a knowledge of procedures is emphasised more than a thorough understanding of the systems and their interactions with each other; one module done and passed so forget all and move onto the next one.
I have tried to explain to some how things really work and why; the stock answer is "I know" and the eyes glaze over. At that point I walk away and show no further interest in them. Sad!