PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PTSD among drone operators
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2015, 22:17
Flugplatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like they need some de-sensitisation training, maybe some time spent with the grunts and being exposed to the reality of the lives of their protagonists and what they are capable of doing?

We've all read the reports of good-guy Afghans turning on their coallition trainers or in our own recent cases in the UK, seemingly devoted family men going to blow up the tube or off to join ISIS. I am saying that what they may witness on the drone close-up is probably just part of the story. The reality is that the even unscrupulous killers are quite capable of doing the everyday sorts of domestic things that they are seeing, but then equally capable of then going out and planting an IED. Some time seeing the reality of that environment or at least recieving good, immersive training could reveal another sort of aptitude or serve as a reality-check before they get to do the job for real.

It doesn't help that the RAF (for good reason admittedly) selects heavily on aircrew aptitude, but maybe neglects some of the character traits that may actually be needed? Lots of the pilots I have met have been great guys; highly achieving, intelligent and sociable, enjoying the challenge of flying demanding, complex aircraft and likeing the squadron comaraderie and crew-room banter. Parents are proud, friends are impressed, but in a lot of ways some of those I have met seem to have actually led very sheltered lives with no real adversity apart from that which has been self-imposed. Maybe it is time that the RAF takes more account of what traits are really desirable and how best to identify them? how ruthless are they, how are they likely to bear up and how well do they really understand everything that the job entails? The old joke about the RAF being the best flying club in the world sounds kind of hollow from what the previous posters have been describing, yet I have met people that on a certain level, really seem to believe it. Maybe a different, rather less pleasant sort of person with adequate flying skills would be a better fit?

I truly believe that anyone can get PTSD, however I think maybe a bit of a change of emphasis, more rigourous screening and immersive training would actually make better sense considering what they are being asked to do on our behalf.

Flug