PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2015, 20:02
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Partly correct but not relevant or responsive.

I might have been more careful and made the point that in an engagement where I need HOBS, I am more than likely in mutual detection range (particularly as nose-on RCS is not the issue). Hence the transient RCS increase caused by missile rail extension is acceptable, and not equivalent to the throughout-the-mission RCS increase caused by external weapons.
I clearly did not make myself clear. So I will try again. The lack of an internal IR missile does not prevent the F-35 from engaging in a close-in, visual fight. Radar guided missiles (including Sparrow and AMRAAM) have been used for nearly half a century in close-in, visual fights. And AMRAAM can be carried internally by the F-35. In short, the F-35 is most assuredly capable of fighting within visual range and is most assuredly not crippled by its lack of an internal IR missile. And in such a fight its stealth remains an asset. And in such a fight its fused and linked DAS and radar (along with its "contradictory" helmet system) also remain assets.