PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA762 report released (cowl doors openning)
Old 14th Jul 2015, 18:22
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
J. O.When did it first appear in the ALAR document?

I ask because the split approach (Monitored Approach) was SOP in BEA when relying on instruments after passing the holding or main approach beacon by the mid 1960s.

The BA decision to adopt and adapt the BEA procedure following the merger wasn't universally popular, to say the least, according to Capt Hugh Dibley who BOAC/BA pilots of a certain age here will know. He told me the story (many years later) in characteristically strong, and amusing, terms.

Please excuse a question which is not directly on topic, and from someone who isn't a professional pilot.
Sorry FL, poor choice of words on my part. PMA was indeed around prior to the ALAR project.

The ALAR project was established by FSF with support from CAAs and major airlines around the world. The project committee was all set to publish the final document which didn't include PMA. Pressure was brought to bear by a certain organization who had supported and participated in the project. That organization was also the only proponent of PMA on the team. The ALAR tool kit was subsequently amended to add PMA as a possible tool for reducing accidents, even though the majority of the project team felt it was a step in the wrong direction.