PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly in Spain Jerez - personal review PPL training
Old 13th Jul 2015, 13:48
Rhino25782

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: your personal message and the posts here, a couple of things to add:

If you intend to complete the course within a few weeks, then it makes sense to pick a location with quite stable weather. As you've already researched yourself, Spain and the US spring to mind. When I did the calculation back in 2013, it made more sense financially to go to the US because I found FIS/Jerez quite expensive, to be honest.

If you don't neccessarily want an intensive course but you're generally apprehensive about many cancelled lessons due to weather hereabouts: In my view, it isn't actually so bad! I've taken some lessons here and there within the last 2 years and I'm obviously flying myself quite a lot and you really don't need to cancel that often!

There's obviously an advantage in learning in your "home" environment for later use (in terms of airspace, weather conditions, local regulations etc.). Yet there's also an advantage in learning in a different environment. It broadens your experience. Having learned in the US and studied UK theory and then flown out of Germany, I believe I was much more ready to venture out into other countries early on once I had the PPL than maybe some other pilots who've only flown within their own say 50 NM radius ever.

Regarding your language argument: Surely you must be able to find a FI here in Germany who is happy to teach you in English? There is not too much use for the German language in aviation anyway (apart from flying the circuit of some smaller airfields) and I usually stick to English for my radio calls and departure and emergency briefs etc.