PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced Landings Without Power
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2015, 21:59
keni010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLWOP

I was taught to identify the chosen field and to locate and pinpoint a 1000ft area to be in for that field using a circuit to do so with no mention of what to do if flying straight into wind. On my GFT I was straight ahead out of the runway at 2000ft which caught me on the hop a bit, no visible indication of wind direction available so used the runway heading....being at only 2000ft I quickly realised I had no time to do the instructed circuit before finding and being capable of arriving at the 1000ft area for an ideal field straight ahead. Had I been heading with the wind to my side instead of straight at me then the already on crosswind leg followed by a downwind leg to the 1000ft area would probably have worked (requiring 3 turns into the field) but to make 4 turns I judged wouldn't so I just thought "what is my first aim" ... that was to be in that area which I'd pointed out clearly to the examiner, at 1000ft, it didn't matter how I got there as far as I was concerned. I pointed out the 1000ft area to the examiner and after a mock mayday call did a fairly long sweeping, "height losing" turn to port and then another to starboard to arrive exactly at that area at 1000ft. I did this instinctively and it was what I'd have done in a "real" situation. At the end of the day that is where you want to be, who cares how you do it in a way? The correct way depends on a few things of course, wind direction being one, state of field as well (ploughed furrows, trees etc. hopefully identified as soon as the engine failure occurs) I think we make too much of it, all you have to make sure of is that you are at that area at 1000ft and that the 700ft turn into the field is on. You can always safely lose height if you're in the right place remember, side slipping, full flap if necessary. There was never any mention of, whilst in the glide, trying to restart the engine, check fuel pump on, correct tank, carb heat etc. I learned all of this stuff after getting my PPL. Not good eh?.... but then I am going back 40 years!

Last edited by keni010; 13th Jul 2015 at 13:17.