PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What we were really scattering in those simulated chemical attacks
Old 12th Jul 2015, 19:45
Slow Biker

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, first post after lurking for so long. Back in the day at Gutersloh I had on top of my cabinet a piece if shattered Harrier canopy for training purpose. I had a visit from a Flt Lt who often acted as DS on exercise. He had been informed that nerve agent would craze an aircraft canopy; with that announcement he produced a bottle of Wintergreen oil. This is a similar colour and consistency as nerve agent he said, and continued to pour some onto the piece of canopy. I was left with instruction to monitor the effect of the agent on the canopy and report back. True, I promise. No amount of argument would convince him that Wintergreen is not Sarin, this an engineering officer too. Well it did have an effect, I got stick for making the office stink like a dodgy massage parlour.
In later years I was involved in clearing mustard gas storage sites which would throw up the occasional 10lb Ground Bomb which was indeed used for training, but that was before H&S spoiled the fun.