PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take the ....... photograph
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2015, 14:55
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
A very fine chap, PK!

I was once doing a session of licensed hooliganism at SORF/RFS, as was PK. I'd just read the RAFG Flight Comment or some similar crash comic and announced to no-one in particular - "F... me - things must have been different then. Talk about pressonitis, you want to read this story of some d*ckhead flying a Swift through a German forest!".

After a brief pause, Air Cdre (I think he was) Pat King piped up "Actually, that was me....."

But he then continued "....and you're absolutely correct, young ( )man - it was indeed pressonitis and I subsequently gave the AOC a sound listening-to!"

Pat King would hold court in the coffee bar and all those present learned hugely from his war stories (as we did from yours at Chiv., Bluntie ). He had a very clever style too; as a VSO he looked around the shambles of dirty coffee cups, grubby coffee bar top and announced "Well, I guess it's MY turn to be duty housewife today!", before doing the washing up and cleaning the place up - the implied message being "If I can do it, so can you lot!". Which had the desired effect.

Back to Stavros, after he advised that RAF snapper to take the photo, there is a brief hint of a wicked grin on his face.

But his comments didn't always go down too well with Brenda; a mate who was looking after a Royal road route somewhere in deepest, darkest Lincolnshire was at some unmanned level crossing making sure that the train had been stopped to allow unimpeded crossing by the Royal party. As the limo whooshed past, mate came to the salute and spotted rather an unhappy looking Stavros clearly on the receiving end of a one-to-one debrief from Brenda....

Anyway, there's probably a private "Sorry, young man" message on the way from BH by now.....