PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good formula / rule of thumb for CDA
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2015, 11:30
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post Intruder, not a single mention of ToD. And actually some useful advice for the topic at hand

Once you're below 10,000', the picture should be much clearer. If you're lower than desired, level off, or reduce your rate of descent to 500 FPM if you cannot level. If you're higher than desired, use speedbrakes (if you think you will only need them temporarily) and/or flaps (if you think you'll need them all the way down) to help slow down and/or descend more quickly.
I would add that it's makes most sense to start configuring if you are too high on profile and start slowing down, rather than keep speed and use speed brake when inside 25 nm distance to go.

High on profile:
1) Far away, high altitude: Increase speed and use speed brakes if necessary

2) Close up, low altitude: Slow down and configure.

If there is no possibility to get back on path in the correct energy state, it makes most sense to arrive at the FAP: Too high, but correct speed and configured. Rather that on profile, but too fast and clean.

It's easy the get a dirty aircraft to catch up with the glide slope. And because you are slow, you have more time to work the situation peacefully. It's more work to get a clean aircraft slowed down and configured once glide slope has been captured. And the latter carries a higher risk of a rushed and unstabilised approach.

This is not meant as a contradiction to what I posted in post 5 (which contained more than the one line you quoted):
If it doesn't fit correctly, you can either arrive at a wrong height or wrong speed. Always arrive at the right height, and choose speed as your variable.
With the above, I must stress I meant for smaller deviations in speed, but still configured with approach flap setting. If either you or ATC made a major screw up, dirty up and catch the glide from above.

P.s.
@Groucho and Amadis of Gaul: