PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airspace 2015 coming to an airport near you...
Old 12th Jul 2015, 09:26
tyler_durden_80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just don't see how class 'E' improves safety for anyone...how is safety enhanced when I can have an RPT IFR flight receiving a 'control' service in 'controlled' airspace, yet have a VFR in conflict who may or may not be listening to the Area Freq, and not subject to any sort of clearance or control service?

Sure I can pass traffic to my 'controlled' RPT IFR flight, but I don't separate between IFR and VFR in class 'E'.

So I pass traffic information to my 'controlled' RPT IFR flight on the unknown VFR aircraft. But my 'controlled' RPT IFR flight cannot make any sort of deviation from its clearance without asking because it is in 'Controlled' airspace.

And in addition to my 'Controlled' RPT IFR flight in conflict with unknown VFR traffic, I now have 'CTA' below the grid LSALT. Of course there are things such as RTCC charts, and MSA's, but as an enroute controller, I'm not allowed to use them (with a very slight exception for MSA's).

I have seen the implementation of lowered class 'E' steps at Williamtown, and I have seen no increase to service or safety...in fact quite the opposite (irrelevant now that WLM ATC work the longer hours for the last few years).

My opinion counts for nought, but lowering class E will do zero to enhance safety, it will ony compromise it further.

Last edited by tyler_durden_80; 12th Jul 2015 at 09:30. Reason: Spelling