PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FCO advice: Rewarding terrorism
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2015, 06:56
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
And if anyone thinks that a similar event could not happen here in the UK, there are some short memories around. Or have some people forgotten what happened at Woolwich Barracks just over two years ago?
Since the attack in Woolwich, we have been working closely with the London authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups in Britain. Although we have had good co-operation from the British government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely. On balance, we do not believe the mitigation measures in place provide adequate protection for tourists in Britain at the present time and we have therefore changed our travel advice accordingly.
No, The UK (and the FCO in particular) has not surrendered to the terrorists. Until we get similar messages as I have parodied above, it is 'business as usual'.

I get back to my earlier point: why risk lives and resources so that people can go about a discretionary activity - against all advice that is Holy - in a country next to Libya?