PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FCO advice: Rewarding terrorism
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2015, 16:58
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but there is nothing to stop a similar attack being carried out at any other holiday destination abroad, infact the same thing could be said about the UK
This is simply not true...in fact it is not even close to being true.

Tunisia has porous borders with a continuous supply religious nut jobs able to come and go as they wish. Many holiday destinations, home and abroad, are demonstrably more secure.

Many nations, including ours, have effective control of automatic weapons. There is no huge cache of Kalashinkovs lying around for any tom, dick of harry to go on a shooting spree.

Many countries, ours included have multi layered security regimes in place, to deter, detect and interrupt terrorists as they go about their business.

I could go on but I hope my point is made. If you are saying there is an ever present terrorist threat to all of us, I totally agree. If you are saying that threat is a constant in all locations, I totally disagree.

The Foreign Office response is a no brainer - they have a job to do and that is protect us. I don't totally agree this is long term win for the nutters out there. That's now down to the Tunisian security forces (as it should be). Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war I'd suggest. Few of the other security forces in the region might want to pitch in as well. Time for some unrestrained violence I think; let the nutters reap what they have sown.

Personally, given this is a military forum and this is war as we do it these days, I really cannot see how this is irrelevant here.