PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Original Aviation Safety Digest No 1 - Fascinating.
Old 22nd Jun 2003, 19:06
Hudson

Sly'N Smiley. Are you saying that there is no such things as the pilot stuffing up - that the real cause was his instructor who was a grade 3 who was badly trained on his instructors course - which in turn was run by a a cranky old grade one who in turn had a deprived childhood which accounted for his cranky manner etc etc? Just joking, of course.

In my youth, I once very nearly pranged a big four engine military bomber at Darwin because I very foolishly gave my navigator a take off in said machine when his total time was five hours on a Tiger Moth. It was his last flight as aircrew before remustering to be an equipment officer. It was nearly our last flight, period. On departing the runway at a 25 degree angle while still on the deck we leap-frogged the local fire tender who was standing by on an adjoining taxiway.

I should have been hung, drawn, and quartered - but got away with it without high authority finding out. Now THAT was pilot error. I had had a happy childhood, no hang-ups, and only occasionally got full as a boot. No way was anyone else to blame except myself. There was no systemic failure of anything - only my brain. The term systemic failure had never been coined in those days.

A fair investigation may well find contributory causes to an accident which could involve personnel problems up the chain of command and these should be noted in an accident report - but unless the accident was totally out of control of the pilot, then I have no problem with wearing the blame if I stuffed up professionally. The Aviation Safety Digest reflected the realities of life without the political correctness that characterises present day forums on flight safety issues.

Incidently, mea culpa again. Seems that the original Digests from No 1 to No 37, were the work of various DCA senior flight operational staff. Mac Job tells me that he became the editor from Digest No 38 onwards.