PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDT Testing - People Losing Their Jobs?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2015, 10:01
Gordomac

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Cripes ! I am so glad to be outa this . Apologies also for "in the good ole days" stuff but really, what have we come to ? Joining my sponsoring airline in 1972 I was a non-drinker because, simply, I didn't like the taste of the stuff. I was quickly taken in hand and trained by the hard-drinkin brigade, delightful ex WW2 (well, almost) who enjoyed the famous 'After Landing Drinks' and then insisted I joined them in the pub afterwards. In my fave airline, the only reason that the ALD tradition stopped (circa 1982) was that one silly girl set up the tray and forgot to pull across the curtain before delivering lots of alcohol to the FD. Seen by pax, reported and that was the end of that.

Same airline, developing into Long haul, the down-route parties were legendary and we really did observe the rules of no alcohol 8 hrs before reporting for duty and 12 hours in some countries. But, in between ; gosh ! Party on.

Then, in Holland, Dutch RLD gave a gentle warning that my alcohol level was borderline. I thought they meant it was too low and went on a celebratory binge with my other ex-pat mates before commencing Line Training. Six month's later I got a written notice, all in Dutch , that I should seek help. This in a Company where tradition was that after a flight we would go to a lovely place, jokingly called "Dispatch" where alcohol was provided in a self dispense machine and added to by our own purchases , feverishly consumed whilst the CB counted the Bar money, paid the drivers the allowances and then joined us. Legend has it that some of these after landing activities lasted for days.

For my 17 year stint in the ME, alcohol consumption was never an issue. Always within the law and I never witnessed in a 40 year career any alcohol related incidents whilst on duty. Lots while off, of course.

6 years into retirement, I am laying off the heavy stuff because it doesn't rest well but enjoy daily intakes of cheap plonk and the very occasional binge. I have never felt fitter.

So, what do we make of it all. You poor rotters forced to watch what you do on Leave for heaven's sake ! I do worry where these ridiculous and over-monitored restrictions affect a healthy, balanced intake and possibly, long-term, adversely affect psychological health. Another stress factor in our profession.

Sorry, off to the pool and choosing a Pimm's as it is Wimbledon. I can also shout at the 767 that daily flies over my house and is obviously to low and fast. Maybe he needs an ALD...............ooops, not over yet..................another six hours after the turn-round and then straight home with no alcohol. What a dreadful life. And in the good ole days, the real test of a good landing was not to spill your ALD !