PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “SIDS compulsory because of CASA Regulatory Structure?”
Old 11th Jul 2015, 08:53
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the aerocommander was approved for increased weight because..., just because.
doublueight,
The Aero Commander problem was a design/manufacturing flaw (actually several) and not related to the increased gross weight for some AC500 models in Australia.

Sadly, Aero Commander shed wings in NZ, US and elsewhere. There is an excellent article of the subject by Steve Swift (ex CAA/CASA) which you will probably find on Google.

Since that article, there have been two more in flight breakups in Australia, neither related to the above flaws, but still related to the basic design. In these two referred, the wings failed in downward bending, outboard of the engines, not at the wing root.

None of the above are "aging aircraft" problems. Indeed, at least one failure was at quite low hours, don't quote me, but about 3700 hours.

What a wonderful thing it would be to have the Canadian system here, there was a move to do so in 1997, the objections of the likes of yr wrong and the CAR 30 Workshop holders plus AWIs ( described at the time as "opposed by industry and CASA safety experts) killed it.

yr wrong,
You are just a dill, you would not have a clue what my attitude to the Cessna SIDs are, or what my experience on the subject might be.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 11th Jul 2015 at 15:03. Reason: typo