PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd? landing technique (PA28) wanted by school
Old 10th Jul 2015, 15:50
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step turn

I have nothing against fair weather pilots. Its their hard earned cash at stake and rolling the curtains on a Sunday morning It might be better to turn over, go to sleep and await another day.

Some of us within reason have to fly, have to be somewhere at X o CLOCK so within reason have to fly. its hard to tell the Boss we cannot go when one after another airline takes off or lands. He expects the same as does Joe Bloggs on his annual trip or two to Majorca in Fly me to the sun airlines so we go within reason.
There are many mornings in winter when its pitch black freezing, windy and pouring with rain when you don't want to go off at 0500 to ****land with the same

Having said that I know plenty of PPLs who use their aircraft for business and pleasure and battle along OCAS in **** weather often with just an IMCR and do a pretty good job.

The worst was the previous winter into Doncaster coming back from Lithuania at Night. forecast winds were strong but not as strong as reality. ended up flying into Doncaster with 45 KTS gusting 70 KTS MAX 80 KTS recorded thankfully 10 degrees off. Liverpool, Manchester same winds stronger cross.
Lorries blown over, shop fronts blown in, even the poor marshaller got blown off his feet.Worst was on the ground taxiing in where it took two of us to hold the controls. Never want to experience that again )) But HOLD OFF FOR A CHAIRMANS LANDING? NO WAY.

Winds don't bother me too much unless they are pretty across and strong and I cannot remember a bad landing in over 20 years. Ok some are firmer than others but not a bad landing and the Doncaster wasn't surprisingly bad just very challenging

As another pilot told me " That is what is expected of us ( Maybe not Doncaster "! That is in the realms of any pilot hobby ones too but whatever turns you on? If its going back to sleep because the wind is more than 10 KTS so be it that is your choice your chosen limits and no one can knock that

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 10th Jul 2015 at 20:23. Reason: Separate subject