PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spits and Mossies only?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2015, 10:19
TorqueOfTheDevil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torque, not too sure where you get your facts from.
Bomber Command did drop leaflets / bomb Germany at night, with negligible results and losses. Losses did not become an issue until 1941 as the Kammhuber Line started to take its toll.
Seeing as the Mosquito didn't fly until November 1940 and wasn't available in decent quantities until 1943, its hard to see the role it could have played.
The Battle of the Atlantic was effectively over by the summer of 43 and the Battle of the Ruhr in Mar-Jul 43 was directed at German industry, a large part of which was supplying UBoat production. This battle alone took up 5% of Bomber Commands total sorties for WW2. Along with other raids that were specifically on yards and the devastating Operation Gomorrah in July 43, I would argue that in Bomber Commands early war, a substantial part of it was targeted at UBoat production.
I think that, in a strange way, we actually agree on much of this, and it's important to bear in mind that this whole thread is merely fantasy/speculation in any case!

Bomber Command did drop leaflets / bomb Germany at night, with negligible results and losses. Losses did not become an issue until 1941 as the Kammhuber Line started to take its toll.
I'm well aware of the leaflet raids and the early attempts to bomb Germany at night - which were a direct result of the heavy losses sustained in the early months of the war on daylight forays.

Seeing as the Mosquito didn't fly until November 1940 and wasn't available in decent quantities until 1943, its hard to see the role it could have played.
Well exactly! Perhaps one has to assume, for the fantasy nature of the thread, that both types would have been available from the start of the war.

The Battle of the Atlantic was effectively over by the summer of 43 and the Battle of the Ruhr in Mar-Jul 43 was directed at German industry, a large part of which was supplying UBoat production
I would observe that the Battle of the Atlantic absorbed a great deal of time and effort (and sacrifice) from both sides right up to the end of the war. But would you agree that, when we did start to prevail in the spring of 1943, what caused the U-boat offensive to falter at that crucial point was not lack of boats arriving from the factories, but rather the ability of Allied aircraft and ships to sink/restrict the effectiveness of the U-boats which were already at sea?