PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2015, 02:37
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtney & O-P - valid point. Apologies.

Here's a thought then, and run with me on this. Perhaps the flight report that was leaked was but one of a number about the same subject? For something as qualitative as BFM performance in offensive/defensive/neutral sets there was almost certainly a Lockheed pilot flying the exact same points and giving his opinion. I'd be surprised if they didn't let a bunch of pilots have a go at the exercise. But we didn't get leaked those reports - perhaps because they wouldn't have made such dramatic headlines? It goes against the AvWeek and PPruNe narrative to have anything remotely positive written about the program.

Now what about the pilots involved? I would guess that the F-16 pilot was one of the other test pilots from the ITF, flying one of the chase airplanes. It's an educated guess, but it's highly likely the pilot of that F-16 had a bucket-load of hours flying a Block 40 F-16 doing BFM manoeuvres. He probably knows that F-16 inside out and can fly it to its best advantage in his sleep. The guy in AF-2 was probably flying his first ever BFM sortie in an F-35. He might still have a bunch of Aircraft Operating Limitations to observe - I don't know. But anyone with a fighter background will know that they didn't max perform their jet or fight very intelligently on their first ever BFM sortie in it.

I could go on and bore you all senseless (again). My point is that there are entirely understandable and rational reasons for that leaked report that don't necessarily mean the F-35 isn't as good as an F-16 in a WVR fight. It's a valid data point and shouldn't be ignored, but context and the bigger picture shouldn't be ignored either - and we don't have that in this case.

And even if, in the end, the fact of the matter were to be that the F-35 can't fight on even terms with a Block 40, I'm afraid I'm firmly in KenV's school of thought. BFM capability is right up there with 'capability as a 2-seat trainer' and 'air-air tanker capability' for the F-35 in terms of relevance. That's not why you buy an F-35.

Respectfully,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly