PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I hour build with a commercial company but not get paid with a PPL H
Old 9th Jul 2015, 20:56
SuperF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i started, back a few years now, i was a ground crewman/loader driver, whatever you call them these days. Back then it was slave....

Any time that we flew out to any job that required ground staff, and we were going in the helicopter, i got to fly and log dual, or PIC as appropriate. I didn't have to pay anything for it, it was simply a perk of the job. All the other staff were really good about it, if one person got to fly and one to drive, they always let me fly, both ways even, however at night i was always the sober driver taking the guys out to the pub and back....

This was when we were ferrying our helicopter to/from jobs, not with any paying passengers etc. After i got my CPL, then there was also lots of hours with two pilots up front, that we normally only do with one, nothing like on the job training to really get you up to speed.

We then did the same thing with the next ground crewman that wanted to fly, he got the exact same treatment, got as much flying as we could give him that didn't cost us anything.

Jelico,

you will find that according to IRD, you were "paid" to work. i know that you say no money changed hands, however, IRD will say that you were "paid" for the work you did by bartering the hours you spent as Ground Crew, in exchange for the helicopter time...

not saying what you did was wrong, its a great way to get experience, just don't admit to IRD thats how you did it...