PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Summer budget 2015.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2015, 15:43
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Easy Street:-
I'm not saying that the Bomber Command memorial shouldn't have received public funding. I am saying that in a contest for limited public funding, securing the commemoration of the Battle of Britain should trump it.
You are of course entitled to your opinions and to share them with us, but I find that to be an extraordinary statement to make. Visit London says of the Bomber Command Memorial :-
The Bomber Command Memorial was completed in 2012 and is dedicated to the 55,573 aircrew who died while serving in the RAF with Bomber Command in the Second World War.
The MOD says of the Battle of Britain London Memorial:-
In addition a Battle of Britain Monument was unveiled in 2005 on Victoria Embankment near the RAF Memorial in London in memory of all who took part in the Battle, civilian and military. The names of all the aircrew who were awarded the Battle of Britain clasp are recorded.
The MOD says of the Bomber Command London Memorial:-
Sorry, the news article you have requested cannot be found, please try again from our index page.
Which is why I quote Visit London. As Danny says, these two Memorials commemorate the people who served and those who sadly died in these battles, rather than the battles themselves.

As to the significance of the battles, that is again a matter of opinion of course. Mine is that the BoB saved us from losing the war in 1940, the Battle of Germany enabled victory in 1945. Goering by contrast declared the BoB a draw. Even he could scarcely say the same of 1945!