PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd? landing technique (PA28) wanted by school
Old 9th Jul 2015, 11:12
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree with Pull Whats post above I also state that I do not understand the reference to many of trundling down the approach at a set speed and with full flap?

I would only take full flap when assured of landing and may use a higher speed initially on the approach progressively reducing till taking full flap brings me back to my VREF speed for landing with as constant a power as possible.

stalling on may give you the published stopping distance but with a 20/gusting 40 kt wind do you really want to be hanging above the runway 6 feet up near the stall floating merrily down that runway with a gust maybe lifting you to 15 feet near the stall while your waiting for it to sink on the runway or field alongside ?

I think not! There are time when you fly it on and times when you bang it on there are times when you will use the full flap VREF! times when you will use less than full flap with the appropriate VREF for that setting and times when headwind and gust factors determine a higher VREF speed. As stated VREF is just a number a formula.

Landing an aircraft is not about stalling it on. It can be but there are other ways and a rounded pilot should be comfortable using a number of methods to suit the conditions of the day

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 9th Jul 2015 at 15:35.