PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd? landing technique (PA28) wanted by school
Old 9th Jul 2015, 10:53
Pull what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, if pilots are to be trained the techniques for landing an A320, they should be training on an A320 or sim. The fact that you can abuse a GA trainer to emulate an airliner, does not mean you should!
Not sure what the point is you are trying to make but having flown the A320 (and the A319 and A321) I can assure you that all aircraft land in tbe same way.

Landing an aircraft is generally the product of 3 attitude changes and a power reduction, there could not be anything simpler (even a guy who had never flown an aircraft did it at Humberside at night after the pilot died).

You stabilise the approach, you cross then threshold at tbe correct airspeed and height and you flare at the appropriate height.

Unless you fully understand and can master those attitude changes you will never land an aircraft well.

Most instructors are never shown how to teach landings and as a result can only show landings and there is a big difference between showing someone how to land and teaching them how to land.

So, my tried and tested (overseas) way of landing a Warrior: Approach 65kts with full flap, roundout and power to idle (apply crosswind correction as desired), flare....keep the aeroplane flying 6 inches off the ground for as long as possible..touchdown at minimum flying speed on the mains with a squeak from the stall warner and warm applause from the passengers. This seems in line with the POH.
Ive never seen a POH call for flying an aircraft at 6 inches above a runway although a lot of women say many males have very bad judgement where 6 inches is concerned

The Warrior has to be one of the most simple aircraft to land (apart from the A319) so why complicate it with bull****?

Being a "they" sometimes, from the right seat, I will require that the power be reduced to idle somewhere around the downwind to base turn, and remain so until a gentle touchdown for some landings, until that skill is second nature. My candidates will not solo until this is demonstrated with repeated skill onto the runway and the water.
Also being a 'they' (sitting in both seats), I require power to be reduced to idle at an appropriate place, dependant on the type of approach and height and I am not too bothered about a gentle touchdown but insist on excellent go around awareness and execution and my candidates will not solo until that is demonstrated. Landings can bust nosewheels, go arounds can save them!