PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit Procedures
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2015, 19:33
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FireFlyBob

7 out of 10 midairs occur in and around the airfield which is natural as that is where most aircraft fly in proximity with each other.

The OH join goes back decades and is a relic from the past of non radio aircraft with poor navigational abilities. Flying overhead allowed the pilot to visually confirm that he was where he though he was. He could examine the runway layout as well as the signal area to visually inspect the runway in use ETC.

From that position the pilot could then descend into a circuit.

We all know that nothing in aviation changes fast. A lot is steeped in history on the basis that that is how it has always been done and how it should always be done.

i am not against the OH join but as posted previously question it as a STANDARD
If it was so good it would be used universally worldwide which it is not.
On a good CAVOK day it works as published but is abused by ATC and pilots on days when it cannot be used as published.

Any joining system which requires aircraft to congregate in one spot flying visually and to make level changes and needless 90 degree turns has to increase collision potential?

so while I accept the OH join as one possible join I do not think in this era that it is the best way. Proof of the pudding is in the eating and not many other nations are eating it worldwide. Any system which reduces level changes, aircraft homing into one spot and multiple needless blind 90 degree turns has to reduce collision potential?

People who act differently are the ones who bring about change
Agreed But to act differently you have to think differently first

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 8th Jul 2015 at 19:44.