PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this RAF Kallang?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2015, 13:44
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
There is, of course, no chance that the original shot could be Seletar with the Sunderland slipway on the bottom left ?
G'day Feathers,

If you're referrring to the OP by I42 – You are correct. I think we have defo established its Changi. – Looking towards the NW and the Johore strait. The AWM has been informed of their watermark misident.

If you're referring to Dave Reids pic Post 3, you are again correct, that's defo Kallang, looking towards the north from over Singapore harbour.

Here's a pic of Seletar in the 50s - Looking towards the south west down runway 20, with the flying boat anchorage in the Johore strait at bottom left. I don't think Seletar ever had more than one paved runway.

The runway at Seletar has recently been extended from about 4800 ft to about 6000 and the airport is planned to be significantly upgraded to handle more commercial airline flights up to 737 size, in addition to the bizjets etc., taking pressure off Changi Int. I rather think Changi Int plc owns Seletar. The north end of the runway used to terminate at water's edge (as in the pic) but is now well inland after the construction (by reclamation) of Pulau Punggol Barat.

HTH ...... LFH

Last edited by Lordflasheart; 8th Jul 2015 at 19:09. Reason: clarification