PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2015, 21:56
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odds and Ends

Here we go again, airlines saturating routes- this time AMS & VIE, common sense will tell you nobody will make any money. It happened before with Berlin & Madrid. They all piled in after no services, saturated it, & then all pulled out. Meanwhile nobody serves Bordeaux, Lyon or Seville.
I despair at some of these route planning people.
There must be a team at MAN who liaise with the route planning depth.

Do they outline "opportunities " "scoping docs" etc ?
Yes I bet they have, and come up with 5 x KLM , 3 x EZY & 6 x Flybe to AMS on some days. That gives you 14 chances to connect to Lyon, Bordeaux or Seville. What a waste of resources.
If by they, you mean the Airport route planners and sales team, I'm afraid you don't understand how it works. The Airport can suggest new routes with potential and provide demand figures, but it is up to the airlines to decide what to do with their resources. There used to be a new route incentive published in the fees and charges for new all year round flights to new destinations. It's not possible to know if this still exists as the rebates are no longer spelt out in that document but at the end of the day the airport cannot dictate who operates on each route.

Meanwhile commercial confidentiality has to be respected by both sides if trust is to be retained.

And of course if airline A gets wind of something airline B is thinking of and airline A were also thinking about, airline A has two choices - point their resources elsewhere or fight for market share. In the latter case, it's often good for consumers in the short term but can end in tears for all parties in the worst case as we have seen. That's the commercial world we live in. So we will have to wait and see what happens with these.

Quoteriginally Posted by Sarah19981
Air China is confirming this on when sending them direct messages via Facebook. They are saying the route is in prospective and start the service using a b777 aircraft
What an airline says on public media, what is proprietary and what is actually going on behind company closed doors are very different things.

As mentioned on here previously, like Hainan, I'd leave Air China alone and let them get in with what needs to be done. They don't need someone pestering them for info and updates when they are in no position to give any.
Well said Stonybridge

Interesting that this proposed flight (PVG/MAN/EDI) goes to both MAN and EDI, both cities with Chinese Consulates - does Birmingham have one? Did I not read somewhere that a Chinese businessman has bought a building in Salford and has applied for planning permission to convert it into a 200+ bed hotel for Chinese tourists as its a convenient location for tours to both England & Scotland. Maybe the missing passengers from Air China were out scouting future business opportunities based on these two facts.
Here's the story - planning permission was granted a couple of months ago.
Chinese Hotel Plan For Eccles Office Building

I wonder if EK21/22 will see an upgrade to A380 tomorrow to help minimise connection problems - currently its showing as a 777 and I daresay EK20 will be going out full (scheduled now for 10.10pm). Today's EK18 is due out at 1pm tomorrow.
It wasn't an A380

Anyone know what time the VS 789 is scheduled to depart?
I believe it is night stopping most of this week due to slot issues at LHR. It has been going to PIK and EMA each day.

It's no secret that Andy Burnham detests DevoMan and the Labour run administration in the Republic Of Mancunia BUT that is no reason to let his constituents down !

Manchester AMD specifically Manchester Airport has to be his priority, LHR a secondary concern.
Burnham is a career politician parachuted into the safe seat of Leigh in 2001. He never seems to have supported the Airport or the North West and of course at the moment is trying to get as many votes as possible in the Labour leadership contest. Probably a few votes to be gained by supporting LHR which seems to be Labour policy - little to be gained by saying anything about Manchester.

I agree Bagso - the local politicians of all sides seem to have been silent, at least in public, in recent years on any developments at MAN.

But while the focus in the country is on the South East, MAN is at least getting on with updating its passenger facilities at last. Posts here and elsewhere suggest the airlines and others have been involved from a very early stage which is exactly how it should be done. They will feel involved and hopefully will already be looking at opportunities the developments could bring them.

And no fuss, no hoo-hah from the locals here. So hopefully the developments will proceed apace whilst I think whatever the decision is for the SE will be open to all sorts of challenges and delayed beyond the 10 -15 year time frame. By that time some demand will have spilled over to Manchester and other UK airports (as well as other places in Europe), so with these developments Manchester will be well placed to offer an alternative to some carriers who see enough demand in the UK .