PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2015, 20:01
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
SSSETOWTF

I don't hold a major brief for Typhoon, but the NAO report notes that development costs doubled and unit production costs went up by 45 per cent or so.

None of this is good, but on the other hand I missed the bit where the USAF spent five years wondering whether to scrap F-35 completely while it fretted over the budgetary stresses of Texan re-unification, and then spent another decade or so grudging every penny spent on production, foot-dragging over each batch &c. Of course this did not happen, but it's just about what Germany did to Typhoon.

And I really don't know what Rafale PR people you talk to, but in fact my briefings from there have been far more consistent and reasonable than what I've heard out of JSF. The F1/F2/F3 plan was executed pretty much as advertised in the late 1990s, I believe.

Nobody other than JSF has published claims of being 400-600 per cent better than others in A2A or eight times better A2G. Nobody other than JSF people has told me how they would go (in 09) from being the slowest flight-test program in the world to the fastest, in 12 months' time. (They didn't. Not by a light year.) Nobody other than JSF has given me a Potemkin-village production line tour, told me that a final assembly area that was obviously as well organized as a Mumbai naughty-house during a typhoon was going according to plan, while concealing a bunch of supposedly completed aircraft being stripped, updated and reassembled in flight-line barns.

It gets to you, after a while.