PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd? landing technique (PA28) wanted by school
Old 7th Jul 2015, 19:39
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you read in the landing technique it says approach with power but it does not say when to reduce it, when they say "power off" they could easily mean after the roundout,
Being a "they" sometimes, from the right seat, I will require that the power be reduced to idle somewhere around the downwind to base turn, and remain so until a gentle touchdown for some landings, until that skill is second nature. My candidates will not solo until this is demonstrated with repeated skill onto the runway and the water.

The aircraft is required to be able to safely land this way, so should the pilot be! AKA a forced approach. Full control of a certified aircraft is assured up to its maneuvering limits power off, down to the stall speed - or it will not be certified. Power or "Slipstream" are not factors in maintaining control of a well flown GA aircraft, within it's intended operational envelope.

GA aircraft are not permitted to be designed to require power to safely land. The only thing that power should be doing for a pilot on final approach is allowing "adjustment" of the point along the runway where the plane will touch down as gently as it would have with a full power off approach.

Otherwise, for poor flare entry, power may be used to recover, but if this is needed, the landing was not great to begin with. I agree that some types like to be landed carrying a bit of power, but this is a crutch to fully capable pilot technique.

I may encourage the application of full flap from half to be late, or in the flare, as on some types, that can speed things up a lot, and introduce an opportunity to undershoot - so best be nicely over the landing surface before full flaps power off in some types.

Sec. 23.143

General.

[(a) The airplane must be safely controllable and maneuverable during all flight phases including--
(6) Landing (power on and power off) with the wing flaps extended and retracted.]